Doc, can you write me a note?
All depends; what for?
1. I forgot to get a note for work (or school) when I was in to see you yesterday.
2. I’ve been out sick for three days. Just a cold, nothing you can really help me with, but my work (school) insists on a doctor’s note.
Sure, I can do that. Some employers can be really anal about doctors’ notes.
3. Can you write me a note to go back to work after an injury that was treated by another doctor?
No, sorry. You have to go back to the other physician (ortho, workman’s comp doc) for that.
4. I’m looking for another job and I have an interview tomorrow. Can you write me a doctor’s note for my boss so they don’t find out?
Um, no. That’s called lying. Figure out something else (that doesn’t involve me.)
5. I’m in nursing school and I don’t want them practicing blood draws on my right arm. Can you write me a note?
You don’t need a note; you need a backbone transplant. Just say no.
6. [Woman diagnosed with flu] Can you write a note telling my husband I need to rest?
Absolutely. No cooking, cleaning, or housework for six weeks. Here you go!
*With apologies to Amadeus.